Examples of service positions
in our local congregation:
• Sunday School and Bible study teachers (qualified persons)
• Children and youth leaders
• Janitors and maintenance workers to upkeep the building and grounds
• Transportation workers for children or others unable to drive
• Outreach workers
• Ushers and greeters
• Choir members and soloists
• Music directors, song leaders, etc.
• Audio and video technicians
• Website administrators and social media coordinators
• Treasurers and accountants
• Kitchen workers
• Nursery workers
Every member of every church should be serving in some way, and every servant of the Lord should remember that it’s more than just serving others; it’s loving them: “Serve one another humbly in love” (Galatians 5:13). Serving the church can take on many forms: babysitting for a young couple to give them a night out, preparing a meal for a family struck by illness, visiting an elderly, housebound widow, or just picking up a phone and saying, “I was thinking about you today.” Christians may busy themselves in tasks of service like the ones listed above, but endless performing, without love, is meaningless (1 Corinthians 13:1–3). As we go about serving God and others, let us do so with a spirit of humility and brotherly love (Philippians 2:1–4).